Friday, April 15, 2011

Where to go for ethnic ingredients in Alexandria, Virginia

My previous post was on fu'ul, a standard dish across north Africa and a favorite of ours at Café Aurora. We had a little extra time today and I wanted to find the beans. I'd driven by a place near Aurora a number of times, but never stopped it. What a mistake! This place has an incredible selection of ethnic foods. I found a dozen varieties of canned ful, not to mention the dried beans. I also found…

Pomegranate syrup

Really good tahini

My favorite brand of Basmati rice (Tilda)

Chopped methi leaves (needed for the variation of Saag Paneer that I make; I'd never seen them before)

So much other stuff that I could have spent hours in there. The place is on Edsall Road, between Pickett and Van Dorn. It's a keeper.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fair-price-international-supermarket-alexandria

BB

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this interesting post, BB. (I discovered you blog after you left a comment on mine). You may also like the ful at Figs Fine Foods in the Palisades neighborhood. Haven't tried it, but their labneh and za'atar sandwich is excellent. You can see my post about it here: http://foodieheavendc.blogspot.com/2010/10/billy-goat-food-trail-1.html

    ReplyDelete